Friday, July 23, 2010

I'm wonky-block addicted.

After completing the wonky sock-monkey block for the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild challenge block, I decided to do one more from my scrap pile.


Well, one turned into two, and so on, and I finished up 4 wonky blocks last night. 


For these first 2, I used some teeny tiny left-over scraps from R's Hedgehog dress to provide a focus block for the centre.





These other two have a more flowery centre.







I'm pretty pleased with these. This "winging it" thing is pretty fun! Each block measures out at 12.5" square. They don't look perfectly square in the photos; I guess my camera was at a bit of an angle.

I've barely made a dent in my stash of scraps. I've been saving them up for the past 2-3 years, not really knowing why but now I'm so pleased that I did. I love these scrappy things! I'm trying to use a bit of black in each one to maybe provide a small amount of cohesion between them.

3 comments:

  1. I like the look of the winging it compared to the symetrical blocks. Thanks for your advice with the patterns for kids. It was a first time for this older size and that McCalls pattern size 4 wouldn't fit her in the width until she was at least 6! I think I will measure from now on. Always good to learn from experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! I purchased some bags of scraps for $2 at the LQS and lucked into a good sized strip of Olivia print. Last night I started some wonky blocks but am new to quilting and was needing some encouragement...finding this blog post was good timing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these wonky squares, I am a Modern Quilter from the northern part of BC. Real nice to find you.

    ReplyDelete