Monday, January 9, 2012

Hexagon quilt turned hexagon placemats.

Gosh, I have such a love-hate relationship with this fabric. The VMQG was given free fabric from Freespirit, the new Jay McCarroll fabrics, and we had a guild challenge to complete projects with it. Now individual fabrics I love... like the large flowers with the polka-dot overlay? LOVE. Ditto for the 8-bit looking pixel-y teal one and the acid-sploosh plum one. But some of the others? The orange with random stripes and the orangey balls on green background? Not so much.


The even more puzzling thing is that these fabrics were all from the same line and were intended to go together in a quilt. I can totally see some of them as garment fabric, which I guess maybe shouldn't be surprising as Mr. McCarroll was the first season Project Runway winner.


In any case, I was really excited to get my fabric and doubly excited to try out my as-yet untested hexagon quilting ruler. 


And then this happened.....


Hexagon quilt with Jay McCarroll fabric by HeatherEndearing
Hexagon quilt with Jay McCarroll fabric, a photo by HeatherEndearing on Flickr.


Yikes. I knew after piecing it and seeing it up on my design wall, that there was NO POINT in finishing it into a lap quilt.


So.... I hacked it up into 6 equal rectangles and made placemats!  My thinking being that maybe smaller doses of the fabric would make seem less scattered. Plus, my 6 year old is a very messy eater and if any bunch of fabric would be able to hide stains, this would be it.  


Admittedly, I finished 2 and then the project languished for a few weeks over Christmas. But today I've finished up all 6 and now present you with photos of them deployed on my kitchen table.... and somehow, THEY DON'T LOOK TERRIBLE.  They actually go with the turquoise seats on my chairs and the vintage 60s rosewood table.


Jay McCarroll placemats #3Jay McCarroll placemats #1Jay McCarroll placemats #2

Jay McCarroll placemats, a set on Flickr.


Colour me pleased! And having 6 of these, we now have enough to accommodate 2 extra guests, and I can also rotate them through my daughter's place at the table when her mat gets messy and the rest are still ok. 


I'm not sure how this went from ugly potential quilt to funky/retro placemats, but I'm all for salvaging projects that are potentially wadders.


xo
Heather



No comments:

Post a Comment